Business news Star Wars, Devolver, Xbox, Sony… This week’s trade news
Sales figures, studio purchases, financials, developer transfer window, investments… If these topics interest you, you’ve come to the right place. We bring you an update on last week’s business news.
- After the Ragtag project, Amy Hennig tries her luck once again with a new Star Wars game
- Are ads soon being integrated into free games on PlayStation and Xbox?
- Devolver presents its first financial results
- LEGO Star Wars: The Skywalker Saga achieves record release
- Briefly in this week’s business news
After the Ragtag project, Amy Hennig tries her luck once again with a new Star Wars game
The former creative director and screenwriter of the Uncharted series, Amy Hennig, finds an opportunity to work on Star Wars. Skydance New Media studio, founded in 2019, has created a Partnership with Lucasfilm Games to develop A “highly cinematic” action-adventure game with an all-new story.
I have often described how the vision of Star Wars in 1977 indelibly shaped my creative life and future. I’m excited to be working with Lucasfilm Games once again to tell the interactive stories in this galaxy I love. Amy Henning.
A beautiful revenge for the American who worked on the Star Wars (Project Ragtag) game dedicated to Visceral Games until the studio’s closure by Electronic Arts in 2017 and the project’s cancellation. With Skydance New Media, she is now at the helm of a A team of developers and artists with decades of experience in action and adventure games. They are supported by A diverse team of creative advisors from the worlds of film, television, games and comedy.. Note that the studio is a subsidiary of Skydance Media, David Ellison’s film production company. As entrusted with Marvel narrative game developmentIt was announced last October.
Returning to Star Wars, fans of this saga will be served in the coming years. Projects in development multiply, especially the three games from EA and Respawn, the open world game from Ubisoft Massive, KOTOR Remake, Star Wars Eclipse or even Star Wars Hunters.
Are ads soon being integrated into free games on PlayStation and Xbox?
According to Business Insider, Microsoft And Sony Each of them will work on their own with software that allows ads to be included in free games on Xbox and PlayStation. The objective of the two companies will be the same: Encourage developers to create free games and help them monetize them. According to media sources, they will talk about non-intrusive advertisements, such as roadside signs at a racing game or around the field at a sports game. On Sony’s part, the idea would also be to include ads that reward players for viewing, as can be seen in some mobile games. For example, watching a 15-second video to get a lifestyle, in-game currency, skin, etc.
Recognizing that advertising in video games is a sensitive topic, Microsoft intends to create a “private market” that will allow it to determine which brands can broadcast ads “that does not disrupt the gaming experience”. Sony will also be very careful in choosing its partners and will exclude companies that collect personal data such as names and email addresses. As for the revenue generated from these ads, Microsoft wasn’t planning to charge a commission, while Sony hadn’t decided yet at this point. In contact with Business Insider, both companies declined to comment on this rumor. Microsoft will target deployment in the third quarter of 2022, and Sony by the end of the year.
Devolver presents its first financial results
Having entered the London Stock Exchange last November, Devolver Digital is now required to regularly publicize its findings. The first evaluation The publisher he recently shared let him discover his numbers for 2020 and 2021. Inevitably, there’s a huge gap between the two years: With consecutive restrictions, 2020 has been an exceptional exercise for many companies in the industry, and Devolver has achieved unprecedented success with the downfall of men. Fiscal year 2021 was still going strong with new releases like Loop Hero, Death’s Door and Inscryption doing well (over 1 million sales). But The Texas company derives its revenue primarily from its vintage games: its extensive back catalog (over 90 games) is the source of 70% of its sales in 2021..
|interval||business volume||Operating profit||net profit|
|From January to December 2021||90.8 million euros||48 million euros||30 million euros|
|From January to December 2020||196.8 million euros||71.2 million euros||59.3 million euros|
Currently, there are about thirty Devolver sealed games in the pipeline. The publisher plans to release between 10 and 15 in 2022, counting those published at the beginning of the year such as Weird West and Shadow Warrior 3. In the near future, Trek to Yomi is expected on May 5. Returning to the recently announced Monkey Island, Card Shark, Demon Throttle or Wizard with a Gun are also planned for this year.
Finally, the balance sheet tells us that Devolver currently employs about 200 people. The publisher works with several partner studios, but also leads an acquisition strategy in order to build a catalog of licenses. Since early 2020, Croteam (Serious Sam), Good Shepherd (Hard West), Nerial (Reigns), Firefly Studios (Stronghold) and Dodge Roll (Enter the Gungeon) have been acquired.
LEGO Star Wars: The Skywalker Saga achieves record release
LEGO Star Wars: The Skywalker Saga has been confirmed as a success. It was released on April 5th on PC, PlayStation, Xbox, and Switch. The game reached 3.2 million sales worldwide in two weeks. its just The biggest startup created by LEGOEven better than previous adaptations of Harry Potter, Marvel, Batman or even The Lord of the Rings.
It must be said that the title contains arguments to seduce players: it revisits the nine main films of the saga and collects more than 300 characters, 23 planets to explore, a hundred vehicles … Really massive content that has led to a long and hard development of TT games, as revealed by a Eurogamer survey. The studio, affiliated with Warner Bros., released at least one LEGO game each year between 2005 and 2019 as part of an exclusive partnership with the small brand. Partnership that should end soon according to VGC website sources. LEGO has already signed with 2K Games to release an open world soccer game and racing game. One can imagine that the Danish company is also joining other partners, such as Lucasfilm Games, which have doubled their Star Wars projects since the end of the exclusive contract with Electronic Arts.
Briefly in this week’s business news
- Techland . owns a statement that Dying Light 2 has sold 5 million copies as of February 28, 2022just over three weeks after its release (February 4) on PC, PlayStation and Xbox.
- LEGO Star Wars: The Skywalker Saga arrives in action at Ranking of the best physical sales in France. It settles on first place (Switch version), but also third (PS4 version) and fourth (PS5 version). Kirby and the Forgotten World come in second, while Mario Kart 8 Deluxe completes the top five.
- After eleven years of service, the MMO TERA developed by Bluehole Studio will close its doors on June 30.
- Towards the return of Valkyrie’s profile: Lyneth? Square Enix recently renewed its “Valkyrie Profile” and “Lenneth” brands in Japanto me United State and in Australia. Remember, the license will get an entirely new business, Valkyrie Elysium, scheduled for 2022.
- Bought Gearbox Studio Support Lost Boys Interactive. Based in the United States, this team of about 200 people has helped in various projects such as WWE 2K22, PUBG, and Tiny Tina’s Wonderlands. A subsidiary of the Embracer Group, Gearbox now has approximately 1,300 employees thanks to this acquisition.
- It was released last November exclusively on Switch, Shin Megami Tensei V has surpassed 1 million sales, Which actually makes it the biggest license success before Shin Megami Tensei IV and has sold 600,000 copies on the 3DS.
by Clementuswriting jeuxvideo.com