do you face FPS drops and stutters with the elden ring Game? Here is a complete guide to fix low fps and stuttering issues on Elden Ring on Windows 11/10 PC. There can be several reasons that can cause the problem in question. Now, if you’re also experiencing FPS drops or chops in the Elden Ring, you’ve come to the right page. In this article, we will discuss several fixes that will help you fix the problem.
Elden Ring is the latest addition to the list of RPG games. It has already gained huge popularity among players all over the world. However, like any other game, it has its own problems that users encounter. Several users recently reported experiencing low frames per second and stuttering issues in the game. These issues prevent you from enjoying a smooth gaming experience.
What causes FPS drops in Elden Ring?
Here are the possible causes of FPS drops or stuttering problem in Elden Ring:
- The problem may be caused by outdated and corrupt graphics drivers. So, if you haven’t updated your graphics driver for a while, be sure to update your graphics driver to fix the problem.
- It can also be due to corrupted, broken or missing game files from Elden Ring. If the scenario is applicable, you can try to check the integrity of the game files to get rid of the problem.
- If you are using the Elden Ring overlay feature, this may also cause the current problem. So, disable the overlay option in Steam to fix the problem.
- There can also be other reasons that could lead to low FPS and stuttering issues in Elden Ring, such as unoptimized graphics settings, too many background apps, etc.
Depending on the best-case scenario for you, apply the appropriate fix from the solutions listed below to fix the problem.
Fix Elden Ring FPS Drop and stuttering issues on Windows PC
Here are the ways you can try to fix FPS stuttering and stuttering issues with Elden Ring:
- Make sure your graphics drivers are up to date.
- Optimize graphics settings.
- Check the integrity of game files.
- Disable Steam Overlay.
- Disable the Microsoft Device Association Root Counter.
- Configure NVIDIA Settings.
Now let’s discuss the above methods in detail!
1]Make sure your graphics drivers are up to date
Your graphics driver plays an important role in the smooth running of the game on your PC. So be sure to update your graphics drivers because outdated and faulty graphics drivers can cause low frames per second and stuttering issues in the game.
To update your graphics drivers, you have different options as follows:
- You can open the Settings app and go to the Windows Update tab. Here you can use the Optional Updates feature to download and install the latest updates for your graphics driver.
- Another way is to visit the official website of the device manufacturer and download the driver installer directly from the website. You can then run the installer and follow the onscreen instructions to install the latest graphics drivers on your computer.
- You can also update graphics drivers using the Device Manager application. Here are the steps to follow:
- Press the Win + X hotkey and choose Device Manager from the menu that appears.
- Go to Display adapters and expand the corresponding menu.
- Select and right click on your graphics card.
- Click on Driver Update to choose.
- Follow the onscreen instructions to complete the update process.
- There are many free driver update programs that allow you to update graphics and other drivers automatically. You can use a driver update application to quickly and effortlessly update your graphics drivers.
When you have finished updating your graphics driver, restart your computer and then try playing the Elden Ring game. Hopefully, low frames per second and stuttering issues are now fixed. Otherwise, you can try the next potential fix to get rid of the problems.
2]Optimize graphics settings
If you have a multi-GPU system, be sure to optimize the graphics settings for your dedicated graphics card to use it properly. Here’s how to improve your graphics settings:
- First, open the Settings app with the keyboard shortcut Win + I and go to File System > Display > Graphics Section.
- Now select the desktop application from the drop-down list and then click browse A button to add the Elden Ring executable file (eldenring.exe file).
- Then when adding the game, select it and tap Option.
- After that choose High Performance and press Memorizes button.
- Finally, restart the game and check if the FPS drop issue is resolved.
If that doesn’t fix the problem, try the next solution to fix the problem.
Read: Fixed Elden Ring white screen crash on startup on Windows PC.
3]Check the integrity of game files
In many cases, low frames per second and stuttering issues in the game are due to corrupted game files. So, if the scenario applies, you should be able to fix the problem by checking the integrity of Elden Ring game files. Steam (the game launcher) provides a feature dedicated to checking and repairing corrupt and missing files.
Here is the sort procedure for checking the integrity of game files on Steam:
- First, start the Steam client and go to library.
- Now select the title of the game Elden Ring and right click on it.
- In the context menu that appears, select File properties to choose.
- Then go to File local files tab and click Check the integrity of game files button on the right panel.
- After the verification process is complete, try to launch the game and see if the problem is now fixed.
If this method did not solve the problems for you, another underlying cause could be causing the problem. So go for the next potential fix to solve the problem.
Related: Elden Ring does not play on a Windows PC.
4]Disable Steam Overlay
One of the common reasons for low frames per second in games like Elden Ring is the use of the overlay feature. If you have the Elden Ring overlay feature enabled, try disabling it then check if the issue is resolved.
Here are the steps to disable the overlay in Steam:
- First, start Steam and go to library.
- Now right click on Elden Ring, and from the context menu choose File properties to choose.
- Next, on the General tab, uncheck the box Enable Steam Overlay while gaming to choose.
- After that, restart the Elden Ring game and see if the issue is resolved.
If the problem persists, try the next solution to fix it.
5]Disable Microsoft device pairing root counter
Some affected users were able to fix the game’s FPS dropping issue by disabling the Microsoft Device Association Root Enumerator. So, you can try to do the same and see if it helps you improve your FPS drops. If not, you can re-enable it later.
To disable the Microsoft Device Association Root Enumerator, follow these steps:
- First, press Win + X and select Device Manager from the context menu.
- Now scroll down to Software Devices and double click on it to expand the list.
- Then right-click Microsoft Device Association Root Counter and select File disable device to choose.
- After that, restart the Elden Ring game and see if the issue is resolved.
to see: Elden Ring black screen flickering on Windows has been fixed.
6]Configure NVIDIA Settings
If you are using an NVIDIA graphics card, you can configure certain graphics settings to improve FPS drops. Here’s how:
- First, go to our desktop, right-click on the empty space and select File NVIDIA Control Panel context menu option.
- Now go to 3D Settings > Manage 3D Settings from the left panel.
- Then go to General Settings Tab, scroll to the tab Shader cache size option and set it to Unlimited.
- After that, apply the changes and then restart the game to check if the issue is resolved.
Hope this solves the problem for you.
Read: Battlefield 2042 FPS Drops and Stuttering Issues on PC.
Why does my fps keep dropping?
Several reasons contribute to low frames per second in-game or otherwise, including outdated graphics drivers and malware infection. Moreover, it could also be due to too many background applications running on the PC, graphics card settings, game graphics settings, corrupt or broken game files associated with the game in question, etc.
Why did FPS suddenly drop in Valorant?
If you are experiencing a sudden drop in FPS in Valorant, it may be triggering due to a faulty game patch or an outdated GPU card driver. Other than that, if you’re dealing with corrupt game files, you may experience FPS drops in Valorant. However, you can easily fix FPS drops in Valorant using the above-mentioned guide.