United State. Who is Frank James, the 60-year-old who injured 23 people on the New York subway?

The man suspected of shooting on the New York subway during rush hour Tuesday morning has been arrested more than 24 hours after the incident: Frank James, a 62-year-old African American, was arrested Wednesday in the East Village. Manhattan.

The results of Tuesday’s attack were shocking and miraculous at the same time: 23 wounded, including ten with gunshot wounds, but no fatalities. Frank James will have to stand trial for a “terrorist attack”.

What happened on Tuesday?

Tuesday, just after 8:30 in the heart of New York, on a crowded N line train, a man wearing a gas mask ignited two smoke bombs on the train, before shooting passengers.

The facts occurred before the train arrived at the 36th Street station, south of the New York area in Brooklyn.

After that, the authorities counted 33 shells fired. A total of 23 people were injured in the attack, 10 of whom were shot. Among the victims were several teenagers.

We were really lucky that things didn’t get too bad

New York City Police Chief Kishant Sewell

The attack occurred as New York has faced a spike in crime since the Covid-19 pandemic: the number of murders has increased by 50%, from 319 in 2019 to 488 in 2021. And their number is still far below records in the 1990s, when there were more From 2000 every year.

Shootings have also risen sharply since the beginning of the year, recording 296 in the first quarter of 2022, compared to 260 in the same period in 2021.

Who is the suspect in the attack?

After the incident quickly, the shooter managed to leave the train and then the metro station. But he was soon recognized by law enforcement: in addition to CCTV footage, he lost or left a credit card in his name at the scene of the shooting: Frank Robert James, born in New York 62 years ago.

Police said the suspect also left behind a rental car key, a Glock pistol, three safes, a small axe and “unobtrusive” explosives.

The fluorescent orange jacket that the suspect was wearing at the time was soon found, according to the surveillance video.

His photo was immediately spread widely on social networks, and dozens of police officers launched a real manhunt.

Police also had body measurements of the suspect, who had already been arrested at least 12 times in New York or neighboring New Jersey.

Until now, he was concerned about acts of a sexual nature, burglary or disturbances of public order. But he was never convicted of a felony in New York state – so he got a handgun unimpeded.

The 62-year-old Frank James has been very active on social media. He fed a YouTube channel called “Prophet of Truth” – or “Prophet of Truth”. It was closed Wednesday by Google for “violating the rules” of the site.

What did we see in his videos?

He posted racist and homophobic videos there, and denounced insecurity in New York since Mayor Eric Adams was elected, a frequent target of James.

He defended black nationalist theories, and hinted that a race war between whites and blacks was imminent.

He also repeatedly referred to his mental disorders.

The final video posted before Tuesday’s shooting showed suspect Frank James anticipating his planned shooting.

According to CNN, which had access to the footage, he said, “He went through so much bullshit that I can say I wanted to kill people. I wanted to see people die right in front of my eyes. But I thought about the fact that, man, I don’t want to go.” To a silly prison.” The words seemed to imply that he had no intention of taking action.

But shortly after these words, the video concluded by saying: “We need to see more mass shootings. Yes … we need to see more.”

What is Frank James risking?

Frank James was finally arrested 24 hours after the accident. In the first hours of the investigation, the courts did not accept the terrorist characterization.

Frank James appeared in court Thursday, is now on trial at the federal level for an act of terrorism, and has been remanded in custody.

His lawyers demanded psychological expertise and his release on bail as soon as possible.

The accused’s attack was premeditated, carefully planned, and provoked terror among the victims and throughout our city

Sarah Winick, Assistant US Attorney

For his part, Frank James did not make any statement to the court, other than to say that he confessed and understood the charges against him.

If found guilty, Attorney General Bron Pace said, the New York citizen faces “a life sentence.”

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published.