Basketball coaches survey | The teachers at Saint Laurent are impatient

Two months after three basketball coaches at Saint Laurent High School were charged with sex crimes, teachers and the union are complaining that the administration has not given them any information about the ongoing government investigation. However, the detective had just taken steps in that direction, according to the guild.

Posted at 5:00 am

Henry Owlette Vezina

Henry Owlette Vezina
Journalism

Alice Gerard Boss

Alice Gerard Boss
Journalism

Hugo Bellon Larousse

Hugo Bellon Larousse
Journalism

“We are disappointed. children [auraient] We have been sexually assaulted in our school by adults and are not interrogated. It is a total exclusion of our subject, and it is not acceptable,” emphasizes one of the teachers with them Journalism He spoke and asked not to be identified for fear of reprisals.

According to our information, several teachers tried to figure out how to speak to the investigator in charge of the file during a public meeting last Friday with representatives of the Marguerite-Bourgeoys School Service Center (CSSMB). Saint Laurent’s principal, René Bernier, would then say he knew nothing of it.

The professors finally got their hands on the identity of the investigator in question. This is Philippe Cottier, who works in the Investigations Directorate of the Ministry of Education and Higher Education. “By contacting him, we realized that the investigator has no right to communicate with us, and that it is up to us to communicate with him. But we were never informed of this,” this teacher regrets.

“It’s all part of the omerta of our school board, of our school. We’re always in the dark,” he deplores.

No surprises for the union

Melanie Hubert, president of the Western Montreal Educational Association, said in an interview with Journalism.

In the days following the arrests, I asked the School Service Center for details of the investigation and its progress. “So far, we have not received any follow-up from the employer,” she said.

Last Friday, the same detective had called the union to ask for a call to all teachers. “I received the most recent information today and was just looking at how we are passing the information on to both the teachers and the former teachers at Saint-Laurent School,” said Ms.me Hubert.

She added that employees were “angry” and “feeling themselves” when they met with management on Friday.

[Les employés de l’école] Keen to learn how to contribute to the investigation and to feel confident in the ongoing process.

Melanie Hubert, President of the Western Montreal Educational Association

The liberal MP for Saint Laurent riding, Marwa Rezgui, fears for her part the distrust of the school towards the investigation and that this will lead to a “loss of confidence”. According to her, “the time is dangerous”, and the Minister of Education, Jean-François Roberge, must inform teachers of the procedure to follow if they have information to pass on.


Photo by David Boyle, Press Archives

Marwa Rezgui, Liberal MP for Saint Laurent Ride

Mme Rizk also asked the ministry’s investigator to “go to Saint Laurent School to introduce himself, give his business card to all employees, parents and students, and restore the climate of trust.”

“It takes a deadline to report the full situation at Saint Laurent and put an end to the Omerta,” demands the MP who wants school management members who were in office when the alleged incidents occurred with the coaches. It is discontinued with payment for the time of investigation.

We must restore the climate of trust to allow people to loosen their tongues. I need the Minister of Education to understand the scale of the situation,” said Ms.me Rizki, who herself played basketball during her school career.

“nothing called”

Saint Laurent’s teachers, for their part, want a “family” within the institution. “How teachers can savor the coming and confidence in the administration, when she herself has protected Daniel Lakas [le responsable du programme de basketball féminin] At last, she continues to remain silent,” said one who met them Journalism.

If the girls, who [auraient] Completely destroyed and abused, I found the courage to speak up, and I think we adults should too.

A teacher from Saint Laurent School who asked not to be named

We want all this, this Omerta, this unacceptable situation to explode, so that the coming young people can study in a respectful atmosphere. The problem must be mentioned before solving it. But at the moment, no one is saying anything: there is no such thing as. and kids [auraient] I was mistreated. Another teacher adds.


PHOTO PHILIPPE BOIVIN, PRESS

Saint Laurent High School Sports Building

At the end of the interview, another said frankly, “There aren’t a lot of people who believe in this investigation anymore. There are a lot of teachers who are disappointed. Just the fact that there is an investigator and our principal is telling us he’s not aware, to us, that says it all.” . »

Few responses from the authorities

interrogated by JournalismCSSMB was satisfied with a brief response on Tuesday. “The current investigation is entirely led by the Department of Education, which determines the timetable and means to be published as part of the information-gathering process and can contact all persons it deems appropriate,” said Department of Education spokeswoman Annie Bowers.

Detective Detective Philip Coty said he was not “willing to comment on the process” at this point. He wrote to “You understand that I have a duty of discretion on this matter” Journalism.

Via email, the Ministry of Education has remained equally cautious. Its spokeswoman, Esther Schweinar, noted that the government “does not comment on the progress of the ongoing investigations.”

However, Quebec indicated that there are two ways to participate in the survey. It is possible first to “request an interview” with Detective Philip Cote, by writing directly to signalements@education.gouv.qc.ca, or by filling out an anonymous form at https://denonciation.education.gouv.qc. California /.

Saint Laurent School theme in a few dates

  • February 2, 2022: Three basketball coaches from Saint Laurent High School in Montreal are arrested, on suspicion of sexual offenses against minors.
  • February 3: The Three coaches Accused of various sexual crimes. Daniel Lacas, Saint Laurent’s basketball program director, is accused of sexual exploitation. The other coaches, Robert Law and Charles Xavier Boislard, face charges of sexual interference, advocacy of sexual touching and sexual assault. Mr. Boeslard is also accused of sexual exploitation.
  • February 4th: Journalism Reports of an “extremely harmful” atmosphere, characterized by verbal aggression and intimidation, prevailed within the women’s basketball programme.
  • February 7: A coalition of organizations calls for the “rapid and urgent” adoption of a bill to “prevent and combat” sexual violence in schools. The Center for Marguerite-Bourgeoys School of Service (CSSMB) announced the same day that it had opened an investigation, which it finally dropped a few weeks later.
  • February 8: Education Minister Jean-Francois Roberge launches a government investigation into the Saint Laurent school case. Soon after, the Education Minister, Isabelle Chareste, announced an investigation into the “way” that basketball in Quebec had handled the situation.
  • February 9: The Ministry of Education confirmed that on that day, a letter was sent from the Director of Investigations to the Director General of the CSSMB, Dominique Bertrand, “to announce that the investigation was being conducted”.
  • February 23: Liberal MP for Saint Laurent, Marwa Rezgui, asks Quebec to “suspend with payment,” while the government investigates, “current and former members of the administration have been implicated in allegations of sexual and psychological abuse” at Saint Laurent High School.
  • March 2: Journalism Reports indicate that a group of former basketball players have formed the Big Sisters in Sports Alliance. Its mission: to put an end to the “culture of silence” prevailing in sports, in the wake of the Saint Laurent case.
  • March 24: 12 women gather in a Montreal court, on the sidelines of a hearing in anticipation of the defendants’ trial, to support victims of sexual violence.

read more

  • between 2 and 8%
    Percentage of athletes who experience at least one sexual violence in sports. Two-thirds of the victims were under 18 years old.

    Source: National Institute of Public Health in Quebec

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published.